The weekend always calls for delicious breakfast with the family. We usually prefer scrumptious brunch and over the weekend and puri being our family favorite will be there for sure. If you ask me, I would say Puri and Aloo Bhaji is a combo made in heaven. 🙂 I usually prepare the potato bhaji in the regular South Indian way, but this time I wanted to try it with Shan Spice Mix.
The Aloo Bhaji Mix contains whole spices likes cumin, fennel, carom, cloves, black pepper, green cardamom, fenugreek, and nigella too. I never had this combination of spices for aloo bhaji before and was so eager to try it out. Finally, last weekend got a chance to try this aloo bhaji spice mix, and it was delicious even if I say so myself. The potato curry was simply out of the world, and we tried it with dosa too. 🙂
Once you have the onions, tomatoes chopped and potatoes boiled, this dish can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes. I posted the recipe preparation as Instagram stores. Please follow our IG to get a sneak peek of IMC’s behind the scenes. 🙂
So here is how I made the bhaji,
- Large Potatoes – 3
- Medium sized onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Green Chillies – 2
- Cilantro – a handful
- Shan Aloo Bhaji Spice Mix – 2 tbsps
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tsps
Prep – Work:
- Chop the onion, tomato, cilantro and the green chilies.
- Boil the potatoes in your preferred way and peel the skin and mash them coarsely. I usually microwave potatoes in the potato setting.
- In a kadai or pan, add two tsps of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chopped green chilies, chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook until they are soft and mushy.
- At this stage, add the mashed potatoes, salt, Shan spice mix, and water. Mix it nicely and bring it to a boil.
- As the masala thickens up, turn the heat off and add the chopped cilantro and mix well.
- That’s it. Yummy Aloo Bhaji is ready. Serve hot with puri.
- I used red potatoes, but you can use any potato variety.
- The spice mix contains salt, so I went with 1/4 tsp of salt but adjust the green chilies and salt as per your preference.