Diwali the festival of lights is right around the corner and this time it’s just before the Halloween. We have been posting Diwali books and our craft this time was around Diwali too. I already posted Rava ladoo but wanted to post one more sweet delicacy that goes with both Diwali and Halloween. I love the orange fall color as well as the sweet and sour taste and when I saw those beautiful dried apricots, I knew what to prepare – the Mughlai special Qubani ka meetha or Khubani ka meetha. Khubani ka meetha is a very popular dessert of Hyderabadi cuisine which is prepared with dried apricots. This time Diwali is on Sunday, but when it falls on weekdays, it’s hard to celebrate pompously like in India. I don’t want to skip sweets and I opt for simple ones. This Khubani ka meetha is one such sweet. Once the apricots are soaked, the recipe can be whipped up in no time. The sweet and slight sour taste from the apricots and with chunky nuts, this dish is an absolute winner and its perfect for trick or treat Halloween parties also. Please refer the notes for variations and other ideas.
- Dried Apricots – 20 (I bought the deseeded ones)
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Water – 1.5 cups + ½ cup if required
- Chopped nuts of your choice
Prep – Work
- Soak the dried apricots overnight in 1.5 cups of water.
- To make the process easy, you can boil 1.5 cups of water and soak the apricots in hot water and this reduces the soaking time too. I went with this way and soaked it for 5 hours.
- Heat a heavy bottom vessel and add the soaked apricots including the water. Do not drain the water.
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Now using a ladle or a potato masher, mash the apricots well into a coarse jam consistency.
- If it gets dry, add 1/2 more cup of water. At this stage add sugar and mix well.
- Let it cook until it thickens slightly.
That’s it. Yummy Qubani ka meetha is ready. Let it cool down and store in airtight container.
- Add chopped nuts of your choice and also drizzle some condensed milk before serving.
- I prefer chilled qubani ka meethi. 🙂
Notes & Variations
- Adjust sugar as per your preference.
- Instead of sugar, condensed milk can be used for creamy and richness.
- Saffron, elaichi powder can be added for flavors.
- Pistachios and Almonds are usually used while serving. But you can use any nuts of your choice.
- This meetha can be used as a sandwich spread also. Instead of Peanut Butter Jelly, try this with peanut butter. 🙂