Milahu Kuzambu or pepper sambhar is very popular among the pathiya samayal. Loaded with pepper corns and curry leaves, its very good for health and aids in digestion. Also we add garlic pods, which helps in clearing gastric troubles and increases milk production in lactating moms. We use gingelly oil for this, but you can go ahead with regular oil too.
Here are ingredients:
- Pepper – 2 tbsp
- Toor dhal – 1/2 tsp (just for the flavor)
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 3 strands (We need minimum 3 strands for this recipe)
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size or 1 tsp of paste
- Water – 1 cup
- Gingelly oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Heeng – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic cloves – 6-7
- Salt – 1.5 tsp
- Heat the kadai and once the kadai is hot add pepper, toor dhal, jeera , curry leaves , 2 cloves of garlic and tamarind. (If you are using tamarind paste, don’t add now)
- Dry roast them till the aroma comes (couple of minutes)
- Let it cool and grind them together with half cup of water. (If using tamarind paste, add them now)
- Heat the kadai again and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and heeng.
- As they splutter, add the remaining garlic cloves. (Adding garlic cloves is optional)
- Add turmeric powder and sauté it for a minute.
- Now add the grinded mixture and remaining half cup of water and salt
- Let it boil for about 6-7 minutes.
- If you want thin consistency add more water and don’t let it boil for long. And If you want thick consistency, don’t add additional water and let it simmer.
Yummy milahu kuzhambu is ready and the advantage of this dish is, you can store this for up to four days 🙂
Cross posted here earlier
All image credits: Vidhya