Rooster Raga is the story of a rooster. An adorable one. With a cute name as well ‘Ruru.’ One who doesn’t sing the usual rooster call of ‘Kukaroo Kuroo’. But loves to sing otherwise.
Written by Natasha Sharma and brilliantly illustrated by Priya Kuriyan, the book is a fun read. While Tulika books recommends age as 3+ , honestly I feel even 2+ kids will enjoy the book if it’s read out loudly. I would strongly recommend the book for playgroup/ nursery schools as a read aloud book.
The story is about Ruru, a rooster, who can’t sing the usual Rooster call, but can sing so many other tunes. However, on the day before the Rooster Day, he gets worried, because he has to sing the rooster call. So he goes to take help from all his friends around. He goes to the cow, donkey, cat, piglets, duck, and goat to learn how to get the call right. But does he get it at all? And what happens on the Rooster day? That’s what the book is all about.
What we loved about the book
1. The lovely simple words which connect you immediately to the character
2. The way the sound of each animal is described perfectly
3. The way each animal moves its body while making the sound is described. It was an absolutely delight for me to read it aloud to the brat and made me wonder about the super observation power of the author to notice how animals move when they make sounds!
4. The illustrations – Priya Kuriyan is a class apart
5. The song at the end of the book. It’s a catch and the best part is the simple lesson the song imparts
6. The book finally tells us that we are what we are and we don’t need to be anyone else. Everyone is unique and that’s the best lesson the book gives
7. As with all children’s books, the ending is adorable!
Recommended especially if you are having a party with small kids and want to engage them by reading aloud with appropriate sounds or if you are teaching a bunch of kids and want to do some fun activities with them.
Also check out this link on Natasha Sharma’s site which gives the kind of activities you can do with the kids and the book.
Disclaimer: This book was sent to IMC by the author. The reviewer and IMC did not receive any remuneration for the review. All the thoughts expressed in this review are personal views of the reviewer.
All image credits: R’s Mom clicked from the book