Here is the recipe for rich and creamy and smooth and silky homemade custard ice cream with tutti frutti, oh yes without ice-cream maker. It uses both heavy cream and regular milk which adds to the creamy texture. This is a single churn ice-cream.
It feels like just yesterday I wrote this post about Vaandu’s struggle to adapt to new school. Time flies. We completed our first grade successfully and all set for grade 2. 🙂 Vaandu loves ice-creams in cone. So I always have store-bought cones. Here is my home made custard ice-cream served in cones for my little dude. For this recipe, I used both heavy cream, regular 2% milk and also a bit of condensed milk. I love the subtle creamy color from the vanilla custard powder.One churn was more than enough for the smooth and rice ice-cream. The heavy cream and regular milk did the trick. 🙂
- Heavy Cream – 1 cup
- Regular 2% milk – 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Condensed Milk – 2 tbsps
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Custard Powder (I used Vanilla Flavor) – 3 tbsps
- Tutti Frutti – 3 to 4 tbsps
- Heat the 1/4 cup of milk either in microwave or in stove top until its luke warm.
- To this 1/4 cup of luke warm milk, add the 3 tbsps of custard powder and mix well without any lumps.
- In a heavy bottom vessel or pan, boil the heavy cream and regular milk.
- As they start to form the bubbles(it doesn’t need to boil), add the sugar and condensed milk.
- Turn the heat to low and add the custard powder milk mix.
- Make sure all the ingredients are incorporated well and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool and then freeze it. I let it freeze for over night about 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove this from the freezer and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Blend this in a mixer-jar in parts and you can see the creamy texture in the first churn itself.
- After blending all, add the tutti frutti and mix well and freeze again.
That’s it. Home made custard ice-cream is ready.
Make sure the ice-cream is out of the freezer at least 10 minutes before serving. Add more tutti-frutti and serve in a cup or cone.
- Instead of heavy cream, you can add whole milk and regular milk or try either with whole milk or 2% toned milk.
- Adjust the sugar and condensed milk according to your preference.
- I used vanilla flavored custard powder and you can use any flavor you prefer.
- Instead of tutti-frutti, chocolate chips can be added.
- The milk doesn’t need to come to full boil. Keep stirring while boiling the milk.
- If you feel single churn is not creamy enough, churn one more time.
Earlier cross posted here.